I just want to rant for a moment. I'm addicted to SYTYCD. I have dancing dreams and I like to pretend that I have a secret life as a dancer. And some hidden talents.
I was thinking about how SYTYCD is like the AI of dancing. However, let me point some things out. 1) For the most part I HATE cover songs. There are a lot of exceptions, but it's typically when the musicians do something interesting or unique or cool with it. But when post-teens on AI sing cover songs, they typically do NOT do anything other than utterly destroy and bring shame to the original.
2) AI is BORING!!! Have you ever actually tried to sit and watch that show??? So painful.
3) The overall talent level on AI is much lower. A bunch of pubescents who have had way to much alone time with their karaoke machines, or rock band or whatever. You can't get on SYTYCD by merely playing too much dance dance revolution.
4) Another point on talent, SYTYCD actually has super awesome choreographers from various genres of dance and they work with the dancers and they come up with amazing & creative dances. Don't get me wrong, the dancers are amazingly talented, but combine them with these choreographers and it's actually impressive.
1) Mary--the wannabe Marie Osmond is probably the most obnoxious person on the earth and I think she knows that and is pleased and that makes me hate her even more.
2) I really hate that all of these America's choice shows think they can take up 2 nights of your week. Greedy. We have other things to do. And more importantly other tv shows to watch. I get that they need to count the votes of the American people, but seriously. It's ridic.
3) I get that it's partly the judges and partly the American people who get to determine who can dance and who can't. I get that. But it bugs me when they give the judges time right before the American people cast their votes to allow the judges to put in their 2 cents to try to sway the American people. I think we already heard enough of them throughout the show. This should be our time, as the American people, to have OUR voices heard. Not just regurgitation of judges' opinions.
Anyway, that's my thoughts. Surely more to come.